Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Richard Fortey

I have just finished reading Dry Store Room No.1 The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum by Richard Fortey. I am absolutely enchanted by museums! I am just as excited every time I go in as if I was discovering its treasures for the very first time, no matter if I know the place like the back of my hand. This book was excellent and a really good read. I have been to several to a brilliant talks by Richard Fortey and have been able to chat to him for a while afterwards. He is an amazing man and has a real sense of humor and fun. The BBC are going to run a series in Spring 2012 called Survivors: Nature's Indestructible Creatures, in which Mr Fortey will be presenting a insight into the mechanics of certain species survival from prehistoric times to today. I believe he is going to be eating some pretty vile stuff for our amusement too bless him! I truly hope his unique style will ignite many sparks of interest and that we will see a few more of his programs in the future. There will, ofcourse, be an accompanying book and I whole heartedly recommend that read. Trilobites are his life long passion though and he positively oozes with enthusiasm about them! www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EdHgGwAtA  He has written many superb books on them and our planets history. He was the senior palaeontologist at the London Natural History Museum so he does know a thing or two. I am now about to start another one of his books, Life an Unauthorized Biography. I enjoy his wonderfully informative style of writing and find it difficult to put his books down once I start. You might not hear from me for a day or two.........

Trilobites - there are simply loads of different ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative